Thursday, February 27, 2014

Smaller Goals, Smaller Steps

I recently had someone ask me if I had smaller weight loss goals i.e. lose 3kg (about 7lb) in March. My response was no, I only have an ending weight loss goal.  This person then told me that if I make smaller goals I will be more likely to reach my overall goal. I've been spending a lot of time thinking about this the past few days and I haven't decided how I feel. I could very easily make a weight loss goal to weigh 90kg (198lb) by the end of March. But then there's this big looming question, what if I fail? 

What if I fail? That's the thing that echoes in my mind. In my previous weight loss attempts it has been the failure to complete a goal that has made me fall of the wagon.  I feel like my commitment is stronger than it has ever been, but I'm still cautious.  

This all comes at a time where I'm currently becoming frustrated with my weight loss efforts. My weight has been the same since last friday. This is the first week since the middle of January that I haven't lost any weight. I know that these things happen and that it's a normal part of the weight loss process, but knowing that and accepting it are two different things.  

I think I will set a 3kg goal for the end of March. I will however keep my focus on doing the right things to maintain my health, which, despite my weight, is better than ever before. My main purpose in this journey is a desire to be healthy and live a long vital life and weight loss is part of that road to health. That's what I have to focus on now. 

Do you think smaller goals help in reaching the bigger goal? 


No comments:

Post a Comment