Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Fajitas, it's what's for dinner

I've been having some serious cravings for Mexican food.  When I lived in Richmond I ate at a Mexican restaurant probably once a week maybe sometimes every other week.  I could't get enough of the chips, salsa, queso and fried chimichangas.  When I joined weight watchers (more on that later). I continued to eat out frequently but changed what I ordered.  My new Mexican favorite became fajitas.

The best part about fajitas is that they're super easy to make and if you leave out heaps of cheese, sour cream, and rice they're actually pretty healthy.

I started by cutting one chicken breast into strips.  
I sprayed a non-stick skillet with coconut oil and cooked the strips on medium heat until they were done.  
While the chicken was cooking I cut up red, yellow and green peppers into strips. 
I then cut up a yellow onion into strips.  
After the chicken was done cooking I added the peppers and onion to the skillet

look at all that deliciousness 
While the peppers were cooking I took my fajita seasoning and mixed it with 100ml water
seasoning recipe can be found here
Add water and seasoning mixture to skillet and cook until water is gone
I only used 1/2 the mixture, the other half went to almost hubby's (he won't eat peppers)

This is my finished product after it was done cooking
The plan was for Rogier to have tacos and me to have fajitas without any tortilla's. I do eat tortilla's and I usually make them myself but I find that I sometimes like the fajitas better without a tortilla so I skipped it today. Anyway, we had a slight taco mishap... 


Apparently Rogier dropped the taco box and then drubbed a can of veggies on it. He says he told me, but I obviously forgot.  I'm not sure why he didn't just throw them away, men. So he ended up having Nachos. I topped the fajitas with 1/2 an avocado, diced tomato and a dollop of creme freche for a hint of cool. 

Delicious and healthy!
It was a very satisfying and healthy meal. Fajitas are so simple to make and easily adaptable: chicken, steak, shrimp or vegetarian. Add in as many fresh vegetables as you want, that just makes it healthier.  Avoid the calorie bombs that come in the form of lots of cheese, rice and too much sour cream.  

On the weight loss front things are going really well. My weight is still trending down even if it's not going as fast as I like.  I did a spin class at the gym today. Wednesday is my set spin day.  We have a love hate relationship, but I always feel awesome once I've completed one. Hopefully my legs will be mobile enough to get in another great gym session tomorrow.  

Happy hump day everyone, we're half way to the weekend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment