Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Set Backs

Yesterday I mentioned that my ankle was bothering me, and today it's definitely worse. I have no idea what I did to it. Crazy, right? I don't remember it hurting me at the gym, and I don't remember rolling it or twisting it yesterday, but when I got out of the shower it was hard to walk. I had plans to meet Rogier in the city center to go to the market and buy some fruit. I probably shouldn't have walked on it, but I did and now I'm paying for it.

I love the market. They have so many local fresh fruits and veggies. It's a little more expensive than at the supermarket, but you know what you're getting is fresh.


This was yesterday's haul from the market. Strawberries, tomatoes, and apples. I just noticed that they're all red. Interesting. Anyway, one of those little containers of strawberries is already gone and the other one will most likely be gone today, if not definitely by tomorrow. 

Here's my lovely swollen ankle... 


Pretty right? Please excuse my unpolished toenails. My ankles probably looked like this 30lbs ago all the time, but this is swollen, painful, and if you look closely you can see a little bit of bruising. Best part, I have no idea how it happened. 

I'm struggling a lot with this set back. I was really looking forward to spin class today and taking a long walk tomorrow, but right now it seems like both of those are not going to happen. So I'm going to use this opportunity to focus on my eating habits which although much improved are still very much off track. I'm an emotional eater. It doesn't matter what type of emotion I'm feeling- sad, happy, bored, angry, I eat. Especially when I'm bored. This is what's been challenging me the most. I'm still unemployed :( and that means I spend a lot of time at home, alone. The best solution would be just not to buy snacks, and for the most part I don't, but I do have a few healthy indulgences: nuts, dark chocolate, rice cakes, and if I'm bored, I eat, even when I'm not hungry. I've already opened and closed the kitchen cupboard at least 5 times today, and I'm not even hungry! I've eaten plenty today. 

This was my breakfast. A slice of bread with butter and some salami, and a half slice of bread with all natural peanut butter and no-sugar-added jam. It was delicious and very filling. 


This was my morning snack. Low fat greek yogurt, fresh strawberries and a sprinkle of granola. Also very good and very satisfying. So riddle me this if I've had so much delicious and nutritious food today WHY do I keep hobbling to the snack cupboard just to open it, shake my head and talk myself out of doing something I'll regret and then hobbling back to the couch? It's ridiculous. I'm aware, but I can't seem to stop myself. So far today I'm on track with my eating. I'm trying to keep it that way, but it's a struggle, not just daily, but constantly. I mean all throughout every day. When will the food monster go away? I've lost nearly 20kg and I still struggle with my eating like I did when I was morbidly obese. I should seek food therapy? That exists right? 

Anyway, back to something more positive. I said I've lost nearly 20kg. Last time I weighed myself I was down 17kg from my heaviest. I'm going to assume (hope) that I've lost since then, but I don't know for sure, but for the sake of this we'll round up. I picked up two 10kg dumbbells at the gym Monday and thought, holy crap, these are heavy. That's when it hit me. That's how much weight I've lost (more or less). Can you believe it? That's insane. That much extra weight had been on my body, squishing me and compressing my bones. 

I read somewhere that when very obese people lose weight the sometimes gain an inch or so in height because of the reduced compression on their spine. In the last progress picture I posted Rogier pointed out that my posture looks better. Take another look if you don't believe me. 

Maybe it's just that my stomach is smaller so it gives the appearance of better posture? I'm not sure, but I'm sticking to the fact that I'm standing up straighter. Maybe I'll have a late growth spurt!

I wish--anybody who knows me knows my only wish is to be taller. Oh well. 

So I'm going to try and turn this little set-back into a positive and focus on my eating while I can't focus on losing weight through exercise. Wish me luck! And hope for a speedy recovery. 

Happy Hump Day :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment