Monday, July 14, 2014

How Do They Do It?

How do people do it? How do they balance everything going on in their lives? When I was unemployed working out 4-5 days a week was easy. I had little else to do so it was my top priority. Now that I'm back in the working world I'm finding it difficult to find a balance.

I worked 5 days last week and after having my evening shifts tonight and tomorrow I will have worked 6 days in a row. I only went to the gym 3 days last week with a goal of 4-5 times a week. I get up for work at 5:45. I cannot make myself get up any early than that to work out. I'm already exhausted. Which is also causing me problems when it comes to making myself work out. When it comes down to it 95% of the time I will choose sleep over working out. Maybe not the best decision, but running myself into the ground won't help me lose weight either. 

Because I'm working my appetite has been out of control. Granted, I don't sit around all day. Some of my shifts are only four hours and even if I only work four hours I get to 10,000 steps in that short amount of time. Between being hungry all the time leading to poor eating choices and lack of exercise, I feel like I'm drowning. 

My to do list is about a million miles long and there is always something more important than going to the gym. I go to the gym for my health, both my mental and physical health. But when it comes down to it I'd rather spend time with my fiancee or checking things off my to do list than going to the gym. I can't figure out how to make it a priority even though I know it should be. 

I can't figure out how people who work 5 days a week, have spouses, kids and other commitments find time to work out. Hopefully as I adjust to being back in the working world I can perfect the balancing act. 

No comments:

Post a Comment