Monday, March 31, 2014

Indulgece


Hi there! I know it's been awhile since I last blogged. Things have been incredibly busy over here.  Last weekend we finished renovating our bathroom (we=Rogier).  Everything was finally finished cleaning on Wednesday! And I'm still finding things covered in dust, but our bathroom looks amazing!

So last Saturday we went out to eat and that was planned, but going out to eat on Monday and Tuesday because we couldn't use our kitchen because of the renovations was not planned. I was very upset because my weight ballooned, but it returned to normal and my weigh in on Friday was 90.7kg (190.5lbs). UNDER 200! I was so excited. That is a huge accomplishment for me since I haven't been this light since my freshman year of college. I got close in my junior year but never broke the plateau. My weight has since ballooned again, but we'll get to that later.

One of my good friends is here to see me and she brought her mom! We spent Saturday and Sunday traveling, which obviously means lots of eating.

Saturday we spent the day in Maastricht, a Dutch city about 20 minutes from where we live. It was a beautiful day, about 70 degrees and hardly a cloud in the sky.  Naturally there was lots of eating involved.

I did forget to take a photo of the french fries we had in Maastricht. They were my once a day indulgence I've given myself on our travel days. They are called "war fries" because they come covered in mayonnaise and sate sauce. They're delicious. We got a big one and shared it between four of us.

This was my lunch. A chorizo panini with cheese, red onion, garlic and a spicy dipping sauce. It also came with a little salad. In the background of the picture you can see my beer. It was a sweet, fruity beer and it was delicious.


I can't remember the name of this delicious treat, but Rogier got it for himself and I had a very small bite. It's a soft bun filled with cream and topped with powdered sugar. 


For dinner we wanted to do something fun so we had gourmetten. It's typically Dutch and Belgium food style. It's so much fun! Everyone has they're own little frying pan and you put in whatever meats and veggies you want from what is available. We had chicken, bacon, pork chops, sausage and little meatballs. The veggies I sliced up were mushrooms, onions, peppers, and leek.  We also had bread salads to go with it, spicy chicken salad, egg salad, tuna, and chicken sate salad. All in all I don't think I overate at dinner, but I was definitely a little more than satisfied. 


Saturday we walked around 13,000 steps! That's quite a lot of walking. 

Sunday we went to Cologne, Germany. The city was absolutely beautiful and they had an amazing Cathedral. I had a pretty normal breakfast: a boiled egg, two slices of bread with ham and a banana. We went to the chocolate museum in Cologne. I'll never look at chocolate the same way again. We got to eat freshly made melted chocolate dipped in a sugar wafer. 


Lauren's Mom was kind enough to let me photograph hers since I ate mine before I even thought about it. I didn't buy any chocolate, mostly because it was over priced. It was really cool to see the whole process from start to finish. We got to see the beans being roasted and it going all the way to the end where the cooled chocolate is wrapped and packaged. There was also a little information session that once again proved my theory that dark chocolate will help me lose weight! I'll count that as a win. 

After the chocolate museum it was time for lunch. We went to this little cafe next to the Rhein River in Cologne. Everything on the  menu looked so good but I eventually decided on the potato soup, Rhenian style. I had no idea what that meant, but it meant it was local style which made me feel better. I always like to try things that are local to wherever I'm traveling. 


The soup was so good! It had a little bit of spice to it that I couldn't place, but I cleaned this bowl. I also indulged in some of Lauren and her Mom's lunches. Lauren ordered Black Pudding and it came with onions and mashed potatoes and the best homemade applesauce I've ever had. Her mom ordered goulash with noodles and that was also delicious. The beef was so tender and the sauce perfectly spicy. 

After lunch we wandered through the city in and out of some shops. Eventually we stumbled onto a gelato place, but instead of getting gelato we ordered two pieces of cake. One chocolate and one apple. 

Between the three of us we cleared the plates. We all could have stopped eating a little earlier but it felt sinful to leave something geo delicious uneaten. The apple pie has a crust on it that had some sort of sugar glaze. It was delicious and very refreshing. Surprisingly the two cakes paired together really well. 

We wandered around the city again after our snack. We went to the Lover's Lock Bride. It was amazing. One side of the bridge is completely covered in locks that have people names written on them with the person they love. 

Eventually it was time for dinner. I had my heart set on a schnitzel. I love a good schnitzel, but unfortunately the place we went to didn't have a schnitzel that came with any kind of sauce. You had to dip it in ketchup or curry or mayonnaise and that just didn't seem as appealing. Especially because it came with some warm, cucumber potato salad. So I went with something different. I went with some sort of pizza. It was very thin, almost as thin as a tortilla and had a little bit of a french style. It came with creme freche (the opposite sour cream, fresh cream) and I ordered it with chorizo (are you noticing a pattern?) peppers and cheese. 


Lauren's Mom ordered the Pizza you can see in the background. Her's had feta cheese, olives and pepperchini peppers.  Lauren ordered a salad with shrimp, and a pineapple chutney. It looked delicious but I couldn't try it because of the pineapple.  

After dinner we relaxed a little by the water and then caught the train home. All in all we were gone for about 14 hours and walked almost 20,000 steps and some 30 flights of stairs. I had serious plans to go to the gym today, but those were squashed. I'm exhausted and need a break.  

Tomorrow were going to Amsterdam for two nights. That means more eating out but also lots more walking. I'm trying not to stress too badly about my weight. I refuse to not live and enjoy the food in the places I'm traveling. I'll get back on track once my guests leave. My weight was 91.5 this morning. I'm assuming, like after last week when we went out to eat 3 nights in a row that it's mostly water weight due to so much salt. 

Tomorrow morning I'll weigh myself and then won't weigh again until May 1. I'm not going to worry about my weight too much, but because I was so close to reaching my 90kg goal for March I will be setting an 87kg goal for the end of April/beginning of May. If I don't reach it I don't reach it, but I refuse not to try. 

Today we have no plans, but to relax so it'll be a normal eating day. 

Oh! Also, I reached my 3 sets of 10 pushups goal on Wednesday! woohoo! 

No comments:

Post a Comment