Thursday, March 13, 2014

The Swedish Meatball Failure

Yesterday I said that I was going to try and make a lightened up version of Swedish Meatballs. I did try, and they were pretty much an epic failure.  I browsed the internet for several lightened up recipes and combined them in what I thought was the best way to make the tastiest version.  I cut extra calories by not adding bread crumbs, eggs, or milk to the meatball mixture.  Personally I don't think they're necessary. They do bulk up the meatballs, but I don't think those ingredients add to the flavor. Spices can do that just fine, with next to zero calories.

One of the things I decided to do was make a roux with the grease from the cooked meatballs and some flour; this was in place of beef bouillon. I ended up not having any grease from the meatballs because I used 95% lean ground beef.  So I made a roux with one tablespoon butter and one tablespoon flour.  Flour? Yes, flour. I know that didn't save me calories, but like I said, I saved calories by cutting out unnecessary meatball additives.  I then used skim milk and reduced fat cooking cream to make the gravy.  I added in some spices, but not enough I don't think because the gravy didn't have a lot of flavor. If I'm going to post recipes I should probably start measuring what I put in? In the event that something turns out good enough to share that is.

Anywayyy, I made the gravy then put the meatballs in the sauce to rewarm them.  I served the meatballs with potatoes and cauliflower, both of which I thought would go well with the gravy. And they did, the gravy just wasn't good enough for the potatoes and cauliflower.


This is the finished product.  It wasn't inedible it just wasn't particularly good.  

Does anyone have a website they use for lightened up recipes? I'm living in a potato country so the typical dish here is meat, potatoes and veggies with a sauce. It's easy, healthy for the most part, but also pretty boring. It's also Rogier's favorite type of meal, but I need more variety. I'm also feeding a relatively picky eater so a lot of recipes I find I would enjoy, but not my counter part probably wouldn't like. 

I'll take any suggestions I can get :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment