Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Day 3, Week 2, and Rest

Bad news-I'm still sick.
Good news-my eating has been on track.

The cold from hell is still sticking around over here. I can't seem to shake it. Today is about 100% better than yesterday, but I'm still not feeling up to exercising. I got winded and started coughing while I was vacuuming our bedroom earlier. Not fit for exercise.

I'm okay with that though. I think my body is telling me it needs a break. I might not have exercised as consistently as I want to over the last 7 weeks, but my body has been through a lot anyway, if not physically, then emotionally and mentally. Having family and friends visit is great, but when they leave it takes a huge emotional toll. Living half way across the world isn't easy.

My ankle is also better, but because it's been swollen on and off I think I'm going to give it a rest until Monday. That's a full week since it was healed and that should be long enough for a full recovery. I'd rather take the next 3 days off then have to take another 3 days off next week and then 3 more the week after because my ankle becomes swollen again.

I've also been doing a lot of reading lately and pretty much all the research has concluded that diet is more important than exercise in weight loss. For awhile I thought that was crazy because I just added exercise and lost my first 25lbs. The next 10 I lost were a combination of exercising and healthy eating, but now that I'm stuck in this plateau I'm going to use the next few days to really focus on my eating. I've been doing much better, but with the slip ups this past weekend I'm still feeling like there's room for improvement. I'll get there. I just have to remind myself that this journey is a marathon not a sprint.

Yes, I have goals and an ideal weight, but what's more important is actually being on this journey and learning new things about myself and about life as i go through it.

Yesterday for diner I had a salad with grilled chicken. I sautéed some garlic in olive oil and then cooked the chicken. My humble opinion is that there's no such thing as too much garlic. I love it. I made pasta for Rogier and made a little portion for myself to go with my salad, but only had a few bites of it. I'm not really a big pasta person, unless it's at a real Italian restaurant, then I can't get enough. I'm convinced I don't like pasta because that's pretty much all my mom ate while she was pregnant with me. Crazy you say? Well, I also don't like bagels, which was her other food of choice.

Anyway, that was a healthy and satisfying dinner.


This was breakfast this morning. Bran flakes with a banana and almond mil, strawberries, a boiled egg, strawberries and coffee with almond milk. It was delicious. I measured out the cereal and almond milk this morning to double check that my portion size had been about accurate the past few days. It had for the cereal, but I was using a lot more almond milk than I thought, which is okay because there's only 13 calories in 100ml, but still I didn't notice a significant difference when I used less, so I'll probably keep measuring that out for the next few days. 

I'm planning on having a chef salad for lunch complete with cheese, ham, turkey, egg and avocado. I'm seriously looking forward to it. The warmer weather has me in a serious salad mood. I'm also brewing some cold green tea and some cold black tea. I love tea and drink tons of it in the winter. I'm a big fan of all the health benefits and want to start drinking more of it this summer. 

I entered a giveaway today by The Freckled Fox for a canon rebel t3i. I could seriously use a camera upgrade, especially so I can stop using my iPhone to take pictures for the blog. Fingers crossed, but I've never won anything in my life. Seriously I could be the only person that entered and someone else would still win. Not possible- I know, but still, you get my point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment