Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Week 2 Day 2 and Adjustments

I'll start with the good news. My weight this morning is 91kg. That's moving in the right direction.

More good news I made it to the gym four days last week even with my ankle acting up.

Bad news, I went a little off track with my eating plan and worse news- I'm sick. I have the worst cold I've had in a very long time therefore it's Tuesday and I have yet to make it to the gym this week.

My eating plan was going very well last week, but I did make some changes to it. I decided that I didn't have a dairy allergy and that eating cheese or greek yogurt would be fine. I will however be sticking to almond milk in my cereal and coffee. I also decided it was okay because I had been so hungry all the time and needed a high protein snack- a quest bar, which has milk protein in it. Since I changed this I've been much less hungry and overall eating less.

Friday evening we went to a friend's house for dinner. I had no control over what was being served, but overall it wasn't too bad. Very common in The Netherlands is what's called gourmetten. I'm not sure if I've explained it before, but what you do is you cut up meat and veggies into little pieces and everyone has their own frying pan and you cook what you want. We did this, only we did this with wok (stir fry).

See the little pans? How they're curved like a stir fry pan. They're adorable. 


This is what our table looked like. There was pork, beef and chicken to choose from. I stuck with the chicken and the beef. There were lots of fresh veggies to choose from-mushrooms, peppers, onions, leek, spring onion, and soy bean sprouts. There was also fried rice and noodles- neither of which were whole wheat, but I ate a little bit with each stir fry I made. The worst thing I ate was the sauce where the first ingredient was sugar, followed by glucose syrup. Overall it was a pretty healthy meal. 


This was one of my pans. See, just a little bit of rice, mostly veggies and meat. I also had two pieces of a white baguette. Overall I love wheat bread better, but I'm a sucker for a baguette. Having two pieces is a drastic improvement from how much I usually eat during things like this. 

Saturday things got even more off track. Breakfast started off fine with two pieces of toast. Saturday was my first real day of being sick. I had some symptoms on Thursday and Friday but Saturday was day 1 of torture. So I slept through most of the afternoon and ended up skipping lunch. I was too sick to cook and Rogier was drained from taking care of me (I'm not easy to be around when I'm sick). So we had fast food for dinner. Horrible, I know. I had a chicken burger and a sate roll (chicken with peanut sauce rolled into a crust and fried-delisciousness) along with some fries. I was surprisingly still within a normal calorie range after dinner, mostly because I skipped lunch. 

Sunday was better, but still not back on track. Rogier and I went to a flea market in the morning and it was beautiful. I desperately wanted an ice cream, but I didn't have one. We decided we would have bread with salads for lunch and BBQ for dinner. The salads were the unhealthiest part, filled with preservatives, but I did stick with whole wheat bread. Dinner wasn't horrible. We just had meat and the left over salads. 

Yesterday was better and back on track. I fell of the path for a few days, but overall I'm still feeling pretty good. I haven't had any ice-cream or processed snacks which was the main reason I'm doing this. 

Yesterday I went to the physical therapist for my ankle. Of course by the time I got there it was back to normal. She played with it a little, but couldn't conclusively tell me what the problem was because it was ok. If it acts up again I need to go back immediately so we can figure it out. 

I wanted to go to the gym today, but I can barely walk without coughing and having difficulty breathing, but toady is much better than yesterday so hopefully tomorrow I can get back into the gym. 



No comments:

Post a Comment