Thursday, May 22, 2014

Feeling Good

Yesterday was a really good eating day. My calorie count was 1,475 and I didn't feel like I was going hungry throughout the day. Overall I'm feeling good and am in a very good place about my journey. 

For my midmorning snack I had a quest bar- the cinnamon bun flavor. So far my least favorite. Disappointing. 

For lunch I made the chef salad I wrote about yesterday and man was it good. It was so filling and delicious and definitely hit the spot. 


It was filled with a normal crop lettuce, tomato, onion, egg, chicken, ham, and avocado. I topped it off with a garlic vinaigrette and it was so good, I was actually a little sad when it was all gone. 

I posted this photo on my Instagram account and a friend texted me and asked "how do you get your avocado so perfect?!" Answer- I have no idea. I got totally lucky and just happened to have a perfectly ripe avocado that didn't give me a hard time about getting out of it's skin. Avocados are a tricky thing, but well worth it. 

Dinner was also delicious. 


This is runder fink (beef meat), green beans and a sweet potato mash. I had never made mashed sweet potatoes before, but searched for a recipe that wasn't full of added brown sugar. I ended up adapting the Skinny Taste recipe. 

Recipe: Serves 1

ingredients
1 sweet potato (about 150-200g)
2 cloves garlic 
1 tsp butter 
1 tiny scoop of sour cream 
salt and pepper to taste

method
-peal the sweet potato and cut it into chunks
-boil until more than fork tender (I chose to overcook the sweet potato a little bit because I find that by doing that you can get a cream texture without having to add tons of butter, milk, and sour cream. Yes, you lose nutrient when you over cook it, but in the end those nutrients won't be covered in unnecessary fat) Also I have no idea how long I cooked mine for (sorry!). My cooking curse is that I never, ever use a timer. 
-drain the potatoes in a colander 
-add 1tsp butter to the now empty pan
-saute the garlic for about two minutes over low-medium heat (don't let the garlic turn brown or it will become bitter)
-add the sweet potatoes back into the pan along with your scoop of sour cream 
-mix together and sprinkle with salt and pepper (if desired)

My sweet potatoes were so cooked that I didn't really even need to mash them, I just kind of stirred them and they just came together. 

I highly recommend this recipe. 

Last night when Rogier got home from work I told him about how I entered 48 times to win a camera from The Freckled Fox and her sponsors. Of course, Rogier is an amateur photographer, and he's pretty good. So he taught me how to take better pictures on his camera. So hopefully some nicer pictures will find their way onto this blog soon. 

Thanks for following along on my journey :)  





No comments:

Post a Comment