Monday, May 26, 2014

Realizations

Things have been sailing along pretty smoothly the past few days. I took all of last week off from the gym to rest my ankle/recover from this evil cold I still have. 

Friday night we went to a birthday party. Dinner was pasta (white), with some chicken mixture of chicken, cheese, canned soup and peaches, and salad. Not necessarily completely unhealthy, but also not on the list of foods I want to be putting into my body regularly. I also had a slice of cake. It wasn't that good, and I instantly regretted it. 

Saturday was a pretty normal day. Rogier and I went into the city, walked around a little, but mostly lounged in the garden. Breakfast and lunch were normal. Dinner was schnitzel, fried potatoes and green beans. Healthier than Friday night, but the schnitzels were breaded. I really should start buying them natural and breading them myself in a healthier way. The potatoes were fried in olive oil, so that was a plus. I sautĂ©ed garlic in the olive oil and then covered the potatoes in paprika, cracked black pepper, cayenne pepper, and a dash of salt. It was delicious. 

Sunday was a fun day! We had plans to go on a long walk/hike.



This is me all ready to go. I filled my day pack with water, a quest bar, and some other necessities for in case of situations. We had plans to walk for about three hours, but ended up coming back in just under two. I had two pieces of toast with peanut butter and jelly and a banana before we left. 


We went 9.16km (5.7mi). It was a slow pace, but considering it's the first exercise I'd done in more than a week I felt amazing afterward. I ate my quest bar about an hour after we started. Since we had decided about an hour in that we wanted to head back I decided I wouldn't need it, but was feeling hungry so I ate it anyway. We were both hungry for lunch when we got back so we went to the grocery store and picked up some buns. I had a an open faced brown artisan baguette half with reduced fat salami and half with chicken breast. 

Saturday at the market we bought a whole chicken to have for dinner Sunday night. I love whole chickens. They're perfect for a nice sunday dinner, and there's always left overs. Tonight we're having some of those left overs for chicken burritos (chicken taco salad for me). I crushed some garlic and let it sit in olive oil for a few hours and then brushed the olive oil over the chicken. I added paprika, cayenne pepper, italian seasoning, cracked black pepper, sage, and a dash of salt, then cooked the chicken. 

look at that deliciousness

This is what my plate looked like: 


I made homemade gravy using the juice in the pan, an organic no-sodium vegetable broth cube, water and a bit of flower. Healthier than most gravies, but definitely an indulgence and not something I choose to do often. I made the mashed potatoes the same way I made the mashed sweet potatoes earlier in this week. They were perfect and so garlicy and delicious. 

Also, on Saturday I had an ice-cream cone while Rogier and I were in the city center. It was warm and gorgeous and I couldn't resist. That's when I realized that the problem isn't the ice-cream cone. The problem is that I had ice-cream after having cake on Friday night. So I've come up with a new plan. I'm going to try and eat salad twice a week for lunch and at least once a week for dinner. I'm going to try and reduce my carbs and bread intake. I'm also going to allow myself a once a week (maximal) indulgence. I'm going to try and spread it out over two weeks between indulgences, but it's summer and I love ice-cream on a gorgeous summer day. 

I hit the gym this morning, but I'll tell you more about that tomorrow, I've dragged on enough for today. 

Happy Memorial Day! It may not be a Holiday where I am, but that doesn't mean I don't get to remember the true meaning of today. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment